Home Fire Safety
As we move into winter, there are certain hazards that you can minimize to make sure you stay safe this season.
The threat of winter fires is real. While the Fire Department is always ready to respond, we prefer that you don't need our services due to a fire!
According to the U.S. Fire Administration,
- 905 people die in winter home fires each year.
- $2,091,000,000 in property loss occurs from winter home fires.
- 67 percent of winter fires occur in one- and two-family homes.
- Cooking is the leading cause of all winter home fires.
- 5 to 8 p.m. is the most common time for winter home fires.
Source: National Fire Incident Reporting System 2009-2011
Click to see information on home fire safety from the USFA.